EXCERPTS FROM PISEK, THE FIRST CENTURY: A HISTORY OF PISEK, ND AND ITS PEOPLE
HISTORY OF PISEK CITY, PP 17-8
Frank P. Rumreich established the first hardware store and lumber yard in 1889... Dr. Erhart Rumreich was the local doctor.
...Rumreichs owned the land southeast of the crossing. Four additions to the town were platted by Frank P. Rumreich and two by Ernest K. Rumreich. Some of the Rumreich additions were west of the railroad tracks. John Lovcik platted the original townsite from his east border to the railroad property on the west, but later Frank P. Rumreich added some land to town west of the railroad known as Frank P. Rumreich's west side lots. This plat was filed September 1, 1900...
As the village of Pisek was growing, the people decided it was time to establish a local government. Pisek was incorporated June 5, 1898. First officers were Frank P. Rumreich, mayor; Frank A. Kotaska and Anton Schnedar, trustees; A. A. Rumreich, clerk; Frank Vavrosky, treasurer; Anton Hollon, village marshall...
FRANK P. RUMREICH FAMILY, PAGE 295
Frank P. Rumreich was one of the first settlers to arrive from Europe to start the town of Pisek.
Rumreich was born in Ivancic, Austria, in 1847, and married Marie Schnedar in 1868. The family moved to Pisek in 1880 from Austria along with their children. They had 13 children, nine survived.
Mr. Rumreich with a few other settlers started the town of Pisek. He was a mechanical engineer, a versatile man, interested in the business.
His son, Albert, started in the hardware store, Frank W. in the furniture store, Ernest was farming, John K. also farming, Erhart was a doctor, daughter Antonette married L.E.Seidl and they had the lumber and coal yard, daughter Alosia married Anton Lovcik and operated a grocery store, Rosalie married Louis Kadlec who was farming. Mr. Rumreich was also interested in the town drug store, Roller Mill and farming ventures.
Since the Pisek vicinity had no trees and was virtually a prairie, Mr. Rumreich applied under the Timber Cultural Act of 1873 a U.S. government issue. If one planted 40 acres of trees on a 160 acres of land, he would in the end receive a grant and deed for the 160 acres.
He received the Growth of Timber on Western Prairies Deed from President William McKinley in 1898. From a railroad Grant he bought another 160 acres. Pisek is built on this land, and part is on land owned by Anton Vavrik.
He was possibly the first taxidermist in the vicinity, he had a private fish pond on the land, outdoor bowling alley in the tree claim, owned two hunting dogs. Game was plentiful in those days. He also had a garden and orchard.
Mr. Rumreich was on trips to visit his homeland many times, always returning with friends and relatives to settle around Pisek. While there one time, he commissioned an artist by the name of Alfons Mucha to paint a picture of two Jesuits. Their names were to be used in the naming of the Catholic church in Pisek. The painting was brought to Pisek by Rumreich's sister, Mrs. Marie Patocka, when she and her family sailed to the U.S.A. Due to a little confront or misunderstanding, the names of the Jesuits were not used. The church was named St. John Nepomucene.
Frank Paul Rumreich died in 1909 at 62.
DR. ERHART A. RUMREICH FAMILY, PAGE 295
Dr. Erhart A. Rumreich, son of Frank P. and Marie (Schnedar) Rumreich, one of 13 children.
September 1911, he married Stasia Vislisel, daughter of Joseph and Frances (Greicar) Vislisel, one of 12 children. She was born August 8, 1890 in Pisek where she also attended school.
They made their home in Pisek until 1914 when they moved to Mahnomen, Minnesota. Dr. Rumreich had his office in his parents home, which later was known as John R. Pavek's house. His first patient was Marie Kadlec, now Mrs. Cyril Greicar. He was her uncle. Marie had her tonsils removed at the age of three in 1911.
Dr. Rumreich and Stasia had one daughter, Vivian (Mrs. Bateman). They helped raise many children, nieces and nephews.
Dr. Rumreich died in 1946 and Stasia in June 1960. Both are buried in Mahnomen, Minnesota.